This page is all about the Main Hull
First thing to do was building the main support frame
Next was setting up the mold frames
Here I took a different path from the plans (Plans needed negative mould plans, I went positive)
Because of this I could first finish the bottom outside part of the hull, and only needed to turn the hull over 1 time.
I used a self-leveling cross-laser tripod to place the panels both level and alligned (to eachother)
This is my “workshop” when it rains: My Carport …
First 16 plywood sheets epoxied, glued and sheets outlined to be cut to 9m panels
First panels cut
Mould frames taped on the sides + first panels screwed and zip-tied
Top 3 panels epoxied together
Bottom 2 panels up on the frames and epoxied together
Turning the hull right side up is getting closer…
Just straightened the stem on the main hull.
Now I have to wait for the Oregon Pine Stem parts I ordered to close up the Stem
Got the Oregon pieces friday, so installed them using thickened epoxy and screws.
Afterwards, removed the screws and filled the holes with epoxy
flushed the hull and stem, marked the waterline, just need to finish some spots and then its glassing time
Finished the spots and glassed 1 side of the hull + peel ply
Finished glassing the outside + put my tent up over the hull
Started to apply the fairing compound
As U can see on the pictures I left the edges compound free.
Thats because theres 1 more panel that should be added. I’ll add that one when the hull is right side up.
Next part fairing compound applied
The rectangular shape I didnt fair is where the daggerboard box will be.
Fairing compound on port side applied
Stem and part of the starboard side applied. 1 more day needed to complete the application, but its just to cold…
If the temp stays this low I’ll start sanding port side.
Applied epoxy putty on the hull. Finally finished.
Let the sanding begin…
First sanding on the main hull finished.
Hopefully 1 more application Fairing compound followed by 1 more sanding and I can start applying the primer…
Primer applied. Just 1 more coat and then I can turn the hull right side up.
But I messed up my calculations so I need to order some more primer for the third and final coat.
A serious milestone in my project
The hull is right side up…
Installing the last hull panel ( Panel 1)
As allways I used my trusted “additional hands”, the scrap pieces of plywood.